Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Detailed Exercise Rules

-Be active. Not too little. As routinely as possible. (see previous post)
-Avoid activities that sell me something expensive or gimmicky.
-Avoid activities that have a high likelihood to lead to injury.
-Do things that even a third grader could do on some level.
-Do things that I enjoy (walk, dance, play a game of tennis, etc).
-Be mostly active outside.
-It's not being active if involves burning more calories of fossil fuels to make the machine go than calories burned by the human using it.
-It's an appropriate activity if people from cultures across the world do it too.
-Find something active I do every day unconsciously, and do it more.
-Pay less, exercise more (aka: if I have to pay to do it, I won't..the stronger incentive is to save money).
-Choose the more active route every time it's an option (walking to a restaurant instead of ordering in, biking instead of driving, parking far away and walking).
-Consult my body (can I go further/harder?  am I good where I am?  do I need to slow down?).
-Push just a tiny bit past comfortable every time.  (this is how to build from the bottom up)
-Take time to smell the roses. (it's the journey, not the destination)
-Breathe deeply.
-Try to break into a small sweat.
-Don't feel obligated to be active at a time that will never work. (i.e. mornings will never work)
-If it involves a television or computer, it doesn't count.
-Make it social.
-Break into a run when I feel like it. (why not?)
-Take it easy when it rains. (nature's break time :))
-Treat transportation by car or train as the exception rather than the rule.
-Treat escalators and elevators as the exception rather than the rule.
-Don't do it if it hurts.
-Kill two birds with one stone: give activity some motivation or second purpose (like relationship building, transportation, running errands, etc).
-Transport myself by my own energy when possible (i.e. walking, running, or biking).
-When it's a short distance, be fast.  When it's a long distance, be slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment