Friday, January 21, 2011

Drumroll Please...Caroline's Criteria for Health

Phew.  Okay, I've done a lot of work on this, some of it scattered or meaningless (sorry for the boring entries and tangents), but I think I've finally got a solid picture of What it Means to be Healthy.  The following list of criteria is compiled from a whole lot of sources, which I will list below, and speaks to what is healthy for the average person.

Please note: since this is a public blog and I need to cover my bases, I am not a trained medical professional, and you should refer to your own common sense and health professional.  Don't be stupid.  And don't sue me.

What It Means to Be Healthy (for the average person):
1) Is knowingly free from disease.
2) Does not smoke
3) Can walk a 15 minute mile without getting winded.
4) Can carry two full bags of groceries for 50 yards without getting winded.
5) Has a blood pressure under 140/90
6) Has a resting heart rate of 70 beats per minute or less.
7) Has a respiratory rate of about 16-20 breaths per minute.
8) Has a BMI between 18 and 25.
9) Has a waist smaller than 35 inches
10) Gums do not bleed after a good brushing
11) Lips do not get chapped.
12) Gets an average of 8 hours of sleep a night.
13) Has sex frequently enough to not get sexually frustrated and maintain a healthy relationship (will vary by person/relationship, and, clearly, is assuming safe sex).
14) Is updated on vaccines.
15) Takes a multi-vitamin daily.
16) Has body awareness and can make adjustments for changing needs of the mind and body through diet, activity and relaxation responses on a daily basis.
17) Has regular, normal bowel movements of the right color and firmness.
18) Is free from any skin conditions (rashes, etc).
19) Can easily fall asleep at the end of the day.
20) Does not rely on substances such as caffeine, alcohol, or drugs to function at optimal level.
21) Does not rely on alcohol to relax.
22) Limits daily alcohol consumption to one serving a day on average (seven weekly), with no more than three of those on any given day.
23) Does not expose self to known environmental toxins.
24) Eats at least one piece of fruit and one cup of vegetables at every meal.
25) Maintains a balanced diet with limited processed foods, sugar, trans fats, and salt.
26) Gets at least 25 g of fiber a day.

So that is the list that pretty much EVERYONE can agree on for ALL people--the common denominators that no one can really argue.  In addition, I want to include things for just me--my personal list--because from all the information I've read, I either agree with one particular point of view, or I feel like for being a 29-year old female the criteria should be slightly different, or something has too much common sense for me that it needs to be included (even if no lists or nutritionists or doctors or whatever claim it necessary for the average person).

27) Eats an average of 3 oz of meat per day or less.
28) Follows Michael Pollan's 64 Food Rules
29) Follows My 28 Exercise Rules
30) Has above average knowledge and interest in health and related subjects.
31) Consistently checks in with body, including regular weigh-ins, heart-rate checks, blood pressure checks, and other screenings.
32) Has an annual doctor appointment, and attends with a list of questions (even if it's just "What is Healthy?")
33) Makes sure blood sugar does not plunge to the point of "panic eating" (or eating because I HAVE to, no matter what it is)
34) Can identify eating or drinking out of emotion.
35) Has a blood pressure under 130/80 (I've always had a lower blood pressure).
36) Has a waist smaller than 33 inches (I've always had a smaller waist--it's the butt that the problem).
37) Eats produce and grains free from pesticides and grow in a biodynamic environment so as to preserve the most nutrients (and be better for the environment).
38) Eats meat and poultry without the regular use of antibiotics, hormones, or steroids, and in an environment natural to its instincts (aka grass fed of free range or whatever).
39) Eats seasonally appropriate foods.

---
This may seem like a lot, but I've been thinking about this and reading about it for a very long time, so I'm actually a really far along already.  Yes, I definitely need some improvements.  And there are A LOT of things on this list that I don't do and will need to work on over the course of the next year.  But, I feel really good about getting this far!  I feel like I can finally wrap my brain around what I mean when I say I want to be healthy.  It's no longer this foggy nebula of an idea in my head all centered around my weight and not much else, but a concrete list of things to check myself against on a regular basis.  And I really like my Exercise Rules, if I do say so myself.  This is good.  Pat on the back for me.

So, what do I do now?  I know what healthy IS, now I need to lay out a plan to get there.  If I were starting where the average American would be, I would make a goal to accomplish this list in about three years (trust me, if your normal life revolves around McDonald's and Tombstone Pizza like mine used to, it takes this much time to make such huge lifestyle adjustments and make them stick).  So, seeing as I'm already a HUGE chuck of the way there (and, hello, this is My 29th Year for Pete's sake), I'm making a goal to get to "Healthy" in just over five months--by July 1st.
  
I feel really good about this!  Now to make a plan of action....

----
Sources:
World Health Organization's Website
American Medical Association's Website
The Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by Balch & Balch
Body, Soul, & Baby, by Dr. Gaudet
familydoctor.org
BBC.com
Eight Weeks to Optimum Health, by Andrew Weil
The Best Life Diet, by Bob Greene
The Mayo Clinic's Website
Food Rules, by Michael Pollan
Ominvore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan

No comments:

Post a Comment