Monday, March 7, 2011

Dear Blog, I'm Sorry.

Dear Blog,

Sorry I've neglected you.  I've been a bad writer, to be sure, but I was busy!  Well, mostly busy.  I also really just wanted to spend some of my free time reading.  And, I've had WAY less free time than normal, and very little energy, so reading won.  Sorry.

So, last time I wrote, I had gotten that weird call about getting a job.  Remember? 

And then Oliver got his first fever.  That's right, 18 months and 10 days without ever getting sick.  I don't know how I lucked out.  But, that also meant that I got my first freak out session of mommyhood. Pitiful, I know.  It was just 101.9, and he was pretty much just cranky for a night and tired for the next day, and that was it.  But still.  It was Mommy's first fever, and I indulged a little in the fear.  Lost a little sleep, not because of him--he didn't wake up once in the middle of the night--just me being silly.

But that led into a random bout of insomnia that the hubby and I both couldn't get ourselves out of.  I blame mine on nerves for the new job and the catalyst fever.  He has no excuse except a cynical desire to make me lose more sleep.  I know, I know...you think insomnia means I should have spent more time with you, Blog.  But, computers make my insomnia worse.  You understand, right?

Then I had my first two days of training at the new job.  I was told to dress nice because there was a board meeting that day.  So that was two nights of trying on every article of clothing I own to see what I could come up with.  I did well, don't worry Blog, but it was harder than you might think. 

So I spent the next weekend shopping.  But my time away from you was not for nothing.  Oh Blog, I looked goooood.  I discovered the power and glory of the thrift store.  $100 got me a whole wardrobe.  An awesome wardrobe.

But, Blog, I can't even tell you.  I had the most awkward two days of training at the new job with the guy I was replacing.  Did I mention he had been fired?  Yeah.  I wish I had started counting the number of times he said, thinking he was lightening the mood by joking, "Now, my job here is--oh--I mean YOUR job...."  And then he would laugh at his own joke.   He thought he was breaking the tension.  I thought he was unhinged.  Feel for me, Blog.  Feel for me.  It was a rough couple of days.

Thankfully, Unhinged Man was the only person I met that I didn't like.  The office seems great, the people fantastic, the work easy, and I even got to help out the Chair of the Board with his iPhone.  I should probably mention that the Chair of the Board is the President Emeritus of an Ivy League school, and I don't even have an iPhone.  I couldn't figure out his problem so I told him to just re-forward the lost email so it showed up in his inbox again.  He was impressed and told me I was creative.  Oh old people and technology, it's so easy to impress them.  Still, made my first two awkward days just a little bit better. 

And, I found out the best perk ever with my new job: I get a cake on my birthday.  Not just any cake--no cakes from the supermarket with just a choice of yellow or chocolate.  Super luxurious rich people cake from a fancy bakery.  We're talking almond butter cake with creme brulee filling and chocolate glace.  And everyone in the office gets one!  That's like a cake a month!  I swear I'll save some for you, Blog.

After those two days in the new office, I had to deflate back to my old temp job for just one more week to "train" my replacement.  I walked in to find out my boss had been laid off.  Whoa.  Turns out the other guy in the office who also just sat around and did nothing actually new his shit, and he took over.  He delegated.  That meant I had work to do, and no time for Blogging :(  Thankfully, it was the last week.  As I soon learned, I would have hated that job if there was actual work to be done.  R.I.P Dead-End Job. R.I.P

As luck would have it, the hubby got sick that week.  Please note, he has not been sick for the seven years we've been together.  That's right.  Outside of two rare and short-lived evenings of food poisoning, he's never been sick.  Not a cold, nothing.  (Guess we know where the Toddler gets it from.) Needless to say, he needed some attention.  Attention I could not spare you, oh Blog.  But he is on the mend.

I must confess.  I did have a little time I could have spent with you and I didn't.  I must apologize.  I just didn't know where to begin.  So much in just two weeks!  But I'm back, so don't worry.  I will not be negligent any more.  And, please know, if I fall off the radar for a few days, I will be back!  And with a whole lot of news to boot.

Yours truly,
Caroline, 29

P.S.--Guess it's time to wrap up the Month O' Careers, eh?  Maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment