Monday, February 21, 2011

Strange and Exciting Start to the Week

Last week, I mentioned a job for which I went through three interviews that I did not get.  They loved me, they said they were really torn between me and another guy, and the reason they didn't choose me was that my title led them to believe that I would not be content taking a "step down" to an Assistant position coming from a Director position.  This job became known as "The One That Got Away," which I laughingly referred to it as with the staffing agency that sent my name in for the job.  It seemed so perfect--it was in the arts, the people seemed really great, it had great pay and benefits, they were about to move into a gorgeous Michigan Avenue office, and I might have gotten the chance to travel to France on the rare occasion--HOW PERFECT IS THAT.  And yet chance just did not work in my favor.

Well...I got an interesting email yesterday afternoon from my staffing agency.

The guy they hired apparently is having to leave at the end of the week to go take care of his sick mother.   There are a lot of details I don't know, and that the staffing agency didn't know, but they were going to talk it over with the company today and see if they wanted to just go with me since I'm still available.  Though I hate the idea of good things coming to me because someone else is suffering, I can't help but get excited.  Could I really get this job after all this time?  Could "The One That Got Away" really come back so easily?  I have to stop getting my hopes up too high.

I did not sleep well last night.

And, to make things even better, after I got into work this morning and settled down at my desk to do nothing but listen to all my stockpile of weekend NPR shows, I got another email.  One of the college jobs I applied to at Northwestern got back to me.  They want an interview next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment