Friday, February 18, 2011

The Job Search: Challenges

I admit, I haven't been nearly as diligent about job searching as I should have been.  I was REALLY good about it for a while, treating it like a full-time job, and then when I found out my temp job would be going on through the end of March, I got a little lazy.  I still did some searching, still applied to jobs here and there, but I wasn't making it an every day, number one top priority.

That changed this week.  I am making it the first thing I do every day.  I am setting clear goals and plans to get over my particular challenges in this job market.  I am going to make it happen.

So first, what challenges do I KNOW I face?

1) This job market sucks.  The shear number of people applying for jobs that are posted online is so astronomical, I think the chance of getting a cover letter and resume read is really slim.  How do I work around this?

2) My work experience is in Arts Administration.  How do I convince employers in other industries that my work and skills are transferable without sounding delusional or desperate? How many people are not even looking at my cover letter or choosing to throw me in the No pile simply because I am coming from the arts?

3) My last job title was Director of Educational Programming at a theatre.  As I mentioned yesterday, I am not in any way qualified to be a Director of Educational Programming in any other setting than the one I happened to fall into, except maybe theatre (which doesn't matter because the chance of that job opening up at a theatre in this economy is probably worse than winning the lottery).  Will it look like I'm wishy-washy, or don't know what I want, if I apply for a job that doesn't look like it resembles my last one?

4) I've been "unemployed" for almost 7 months now.  I mean, not really, I've been temping.  But employers now are being really adamant about showing a "stable" work history.  Though my last job was definitely stable, and I am most certainly looking for a stable, long-term position, will my current temping look really bad on paper?

5) My "presentation" could use a little work.  What do I mean by this?  Well, frankly, I mean my looks.  As I have been living on the super cheap lately, that means I have not spent a dime--and I mean a dime--on clothes, hair, or makeup in a loooong time.  The clothes that I do have are starting to look more and more worn,  my hair "style" no longer deserves that name, and the only makeup I currently own is between five and fifteen years old (since I never wear it, it just sticks around collecting dust--whatevs).  To those who have known me a long time, this comes as no surprise I'm sure.  Maybe an eye-rolling (yet lovable?) "Oh Caroline" may be sighed for me as you read this.  I've never been good about caring about whether or not my pants end up in shreds on the bottom because I never got them hemmed.  Fashion is just that thing that alludes me--something that came much more naturally when I was younger than it does now, when looking put-together and professional didn't matter nearly as much as looking cool and casual.
No, I have hit an all-time low in all things "looks" related.  And, though I hate to admit it, looks matter when trying to get a job.  Not so much looking cute or sexy, but looking ready for work--looking like an ideal worker on the outside (organized, competent, professional).  I've never looked this way in my whole life!  ::Sigh::  Before my next interview, I'm going to have to do a little personal make-over.  Most women would probably squeal with delight at the thought, but it just intimidates the shit out of me.  I feel like I need a consultant.  I'm seriously about to turn myself in to Stacy and Clinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment